One of the most important elements of realistic model scenery is the hills.
Even intricate train layouts look flat and lifeless without the inclusion of gradient.
You have two main options when it comes to using hill scenes:
1. Paper Mache
- Very cheap to buy, you only need newspaper, water and glue.
- Can be really fun and you can get the kids to join in with you
2. Modelling Rock
- Relatively expensive and requires far more adult supervision
- Tricky to get started on
- Requires the use of a chicken wire frame and then you add the plaster impregnated fabric on top of this.
- Very easy to create large hills with
- A lot less messier than the other two options
- Still very cheap and only just requires a little Polly fill to smooth the surfaces.