Trains4Africa
Because all Boys (and some girls) love Trains

DCC Turntable with Gearbox

As hinted in the last post, I have made some significant changes to the code I am running.  I changed the stepper from direct drive to a gearbox drive (50:1) eliminated the brake, and did some other changes.  I am really happy with the results.  I wrote some JMRI code to just keep calling up DCC accessory codes (not in order) with about 2 min in between each request.  Then at the end of the day, I stopped the code and called up each track to see is there was any noticeable drift over time.  I did notice a little, but nothing significant.  That was about 120 moves over 4 hours and in the end it still lined up correctly.  What drew me to the gearbox, was that after about 10 moves with the direct drive and a heavy locomotive, the previous drive had a noticeable drift (or loss of resolution- ie- skipped steps).  I really liked the “microstepping” but the torque I have now at “Interleave” stepping is significant.  The motor also runs significantly cooler.  I want to still try and overdrive the i2c clock, but I can’t get that to work.  That would allow me to go back to microstepping, but at higher speeds

Files:

On30_Module_DCC_Turntable_Rev_22